Fight Direction and Stage Combat
STAGE COMBAT DEFINED
Stage combat is an artistic presentation of violence in a theatrical environment. It is violence based on the principles of reality, masked by specific techniques that make the actions safe for the performers, in which the audience perceives the violent act as reality. The violent event is designed to enhance and continue the narrative of a theatrical event.A fight director is responsible for all aspects of violence within a theatrical event. This can be something as simple as a fall onstage to something as complicated as gang fights in "West Side Story."The fight director works directly under the director of a production and is responsible for keeping that director's vision intact. A fight director generally needs a background in aspects of martial arts, both Eastern and Western European, knowledge of theatrical performance techniques, and artistic integrity.To learn the skills of being a safe and effective performer of violence in a theatrical environment, a student of Stage Combat must be taught the skills needed in a carefully thought out, pedagogical method, that is adaptable to the individuals specific needs and physical abilities.Those who teach, do.Researching, writing, and performing of original or established pieces for an audience is one of highlights of being involved in stage combat.
We provide expertise in stage combat performance and direction. We coordinate event requiring, or enhanced by, stage combat.We want your next action-packed event to be entertaining, exciting and even enlightening.Imagine these practical applications: knights in armor, renaissance nobles, the Three Musketeers, pirates, Zorro, Robin Hood, highlanders, warrior princesses, fantasy characters, gladiators, gamblers, angry cooks, dueling gentlemen, dangerous liaisons, cowboy gunfighters and many more.We specialize in bar room brawls, pratt falls, swordfighting, commandos, period boxing, secret agent intrigue, firearms, gunfights, martial arts, action drama and commedia dell'arte, from all eras.Give us your idea and we'll run with it, fall with it, laugh with it, fight with it, love it and give it back to you just - if not better than - the way you expect it.
- YOU HAVE SEEN US
- Places you have seen our expertise in action...
- Shakespeare and Page to Stage, Calaveras Repertory Theater
- The Duelists, The Fight Guy
- Celebrate History 1998 (Event Safety Coordinator), Celebrate History
- Operation No Penetration Lysistrata 97, Golden Thread Productions
- Macbeth, Milpitas High School
- The Present, Campana Films
- The Shannon Doyle Incident, Theater Artists of Marin
- American Artifacts-The Award, Go Play
- American Buffalo, Genesis Theater Co. & Pour Boys Prod.
- Entertaining Mr. Sloane, Phoenix Theater Company
- Marisol, Eureka Theater Company
- A Streetcar Named Desire, Phoenix Theater Company
- Hunger, Brava Theater - Women in the Arts
- Gold Rush San Francisco (Event Fight Master), Timegames Inc.
- Hamlet, Phoenix Theater Company
- Othello, Canada College Theater Dept.
- Psycho Monkey on Planet Earth, Psycho Monkey Prod.
- Brilliant Traces, Encore Theater Company
- Conversations with my Father, Theater works
- Burn This, Kudzu Theater Company
- Orphans, Production Arts Workshop
- Primus - Mr. Krinkle, Big Pictures
- La Ronde 2, London Pacific Theater Co.
- Mysteries of the Bell Mansion, A Party to Intrigue
- The Detectives Club, A Party to Intrigue
- Angel Island Treasure Hunt, A Party to Intrigue
- Commedia on Broadway, Tutti Frutti Commedia Co.
- Proof, Base Surge Prod.
- Crummels's Nutcracker, Living History Center
- Commedia Sgarbata (1993), Living History Center
- Commedia Sgarbata (1992), Living History Center